Title: By Chance
Author: Jae Kayelle
Feedback: writetosell@sasktel.net
Pairing: Sparrow/Norrington, Will/Elizabeth
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Disney and Bruckheimer own the characters. No copyright infringement intended. No profits made from this work of fiction.
Summary: Good intentions go awry.


By Chance
by Jae Kayelle

* * *

"You've got to relinquish your guilt, Elizabeth," Will gently admonished his wife. "James let you go willingly. He realized that you love me, and I, for one, shall be forever grateful to the both of you."

Elizabeth smiled and leaned into his embrace. "I know. I just feel badly for him. He's never been one to actively court anyone. I hesitate to voice this, but I think it was simply easier for him to set his sights on me."

"Do you really believe that? I mean he is a rather striking figure on this island, and his rank alone would make him a good prospect for any number of young ladies."

"You're right, my darling, but James is rather shy. I see that now. I'm ashamed to say that I never bothered to pay that much attention to him before."

"Surely you're not having second thoughts about us?" Will's voice trembled slightly.

"No! Never in life, my love." Elizabeth kissed him until he relaxed with a smile. "I do, however, think we should make a real friend of James. In my mind he's always been Father's friend and colleague. If we include him in our lives he may find opportunities for socializing that he never had before. He has a tendency to keep to himself unless duty requires his presence at events, and then he always leaves – alone – as soon as is politely possible."

"What if he likes being alone?"

"Nonsense," Elizabeth scoffed. "He'll be much happier putting himself in social situations. He just hasn't given them a proper chance yet."

"I don't know. My instinct tells me James knows perfectly well what he likes."

She considered his words. "All right, how about this? I'll extend him the courtesy of discussing this with him first."

"First? What are you planning for him?"

"A party in his honour. We can hold it at Father's mansion and invite all of the unmarried women on the island – of suitable social standing, of course."

Will shook his head. "Promise me you will discuss it with him first, as you have said."

"I promise. Why don't we go to the fort now and see if he has time to talk?"

"All right, but I hope you're not too disappointed when he refuses your idea."

"He won't refuse me. I'll make sure Father speaks to him about it."

Will frowned. "No, Elizabeth. Let it be James's decision. If he's not comfortable with it, you let it go."

Elizabeth looked at him with renewed interest. Pouting a little just for show, she wound her arms around her husband's waist. "I like this firm, decisive husband of mine." Her hands crept around to cup and squeeze his cheeks. Then her right hand drifted around to the front; it brushed across his belly and then went lower. "Especially the firm part."

Flushed with embarrassment and arousal, Will retorted gamely, "The better to ravish you, my dear."

It took them longer than planned to leave the house and go to the fort.

* * *


When they arrived they met Lt. Groves on his way out.

"Lieutenant." Elizabeth called.

The officer smiled and greeted them, "Mrs. Turner. Mr. Turner. How are you?"

"We're looking for the Commodore. Is he here today?"

"I just left him in his office, ma'am. He was doing some paperwork, but I'm sure he'll be delighted to see you both. I can take you there."

"We know the way," Will told him. "Thank you."

Groves nodded, gave them a half bow and went on his way.

They walked a short distance down the corridor until they reached the office of the Commodore. Will leaned past Elizabeth to knock on the door, but she smiled at him and opened the door first. He cut off his protest at her poor manners with a shrug.

The door swung partway and they both stopped in the doorway with their mouths open.

James Norrington was seated behind the desk. Jack Sparrow was also seated behind the desk, but he was perched on James's lap with his legs wound around James's waist and the back of the chair. The two men were currently engaged in a steamy kiss.

His wig knocked askew, James's hands were lost in Jack's mass of heavy dark hair. Jack had tugged the shirt free of James's breeches and lifted it to his shoulders. Pulling out of the kiss with a soft smile that made the observers weak from the love shining from it, Jack bent his head to apply his mouth to the mostly unmarked skin he had revealed. The tattoo of a large bird, possibly a hawk, circling the sun was displayed on the left side of James's chest over his heart. As Jack's lips moved over his body, James's head tipped back and his eyes slid shut. Mouth open to utter quiet moans of pleasure, he never ceased caressing Jack's arms and shoulders.

When Jack finally lifted his head, James opened his eyes and grasped a double handful of braids, pulling the pirate into another soul-deep kiss. Jack cupped James's face with his sun-darkened hands, his rings flashing in the sunlight that lit the office from the window behind them. His shoulders were hunched as he melded with James, who clutched him closely as if afraid to let him go. Someone whimpered in the quiet room.

Elizabeth clamped her hand over her mouth and backed up, colliding with Will. Her husband shook himself free of the trance into which he had fallen and, with a gentle touch to her shoulders, urged her outside. They closed the door as quietly as possible, both stealing one last look at the couple in the chair. The last thing they saw was Jack nip James on the chin, and then he soothed it with his tongue, while James grinned at him and pulled him back into a proper kiss. Then the door shut and they could see nothing more.

Will leaned heavily against the wall a moment, before taking his stunned wife by the arm and leading her away from the office and out of the fort. Neither spoke until they were outside the walls of Fort Charles.

"Do you still wish to hold that party?" Will asked.

She offered him a slightly sheepish smile. "I suppose not. Unless..."

"Elizabeth," Will said warningly.

"...unless we make it a party of two. It cannot be easy for them to meet. We could give them our home as a sort of sanctuary."

Will stopped walking and held her arm until she also halted and turned to face him.

"It's a lovely, generous idea, but don't you think that if they wanted us – or anyone – to know they would tell us?"

She sighed. "You are right – again, as always. Of course you are." She smiled and reached up to finger his curls. "It looked as though they are managing quite fine without our help."

They walked along in contented silence for a few minutes. Will wore a smile that was less surprised than it had been, growing towards delight for their friends. Elizabeth's expression mirrored his and she squeezed his hand in hers.

"They looked so happy," she murmured.

Will nodded. "They reminded me of us."

"Let's go home."


end


* * *




[Continued here: 'Gift of the Magpie']